Need an extra pair of hands in your business, without taking on additional staff? Engaging the services of a consultant may be the answer. A consultant can plug the gap in the skills of your current employees, or act as an extra pair of hands during particularly busy periods.
A consultancy agreement is a contract between your company and an independent contractor (a self-employed individual) for the provision of services.
The important characteristic of a consultancy arrangement is that it does not create an employment relationship.
The consultancy agreement will clarify important issues such as:
- Scope of the consultant’s role and responsibilities
- Payment terms
- Duration of the engagement
- Treatment of your confidential information
- Expected deliverables or time commitment
With a consultancy agreement in place, both parties have a clear understanding of their business relationship from the outset.
This service is for drafting a consultancy agreement between a company and an individual self-employed person. If the consultant is providing their services via an incorporated Personal Service Company, please use the service for Drafting a Consultancy Agreement with a Personal Service Company.
If you have received a consultancy agreement which you would like a lawyer to review before you sign, please see our service for reviewing documents. Or if you’d like a lawyer to review your existing consultancy agreements to advise on their effectiveness, please consult the service for reviewing documents.
What you will get from this service
A 60 minute consultation with your lawyer to align objectives. You’ll discuss:
- The role you want your consultant to carry out
- Payment terms
- The objectives you want to achieve with the agreement
- The ways in which a consultant could be deemed to be an employee for tax-purposes and the safeguards you need to have in place to avoid creating an employment relationship inadvertently.
- Your specific questions about the agreement
- The key information your lawyer needs from you to begin drafting the agreement
You’ll receive a professionally drafted consultancy agreement to use between your company and a specified self-employed individual.
What will this enable you to do
What happens after I hire a lawyer?
2 years experience across
- Sole Trader / Freelancers / Self-Employed
- Microbusiness (up to 10 Employees)
- Medium-sized business (up to 50 employees)
Not sure what you’re looking for? Let us match you with a legal advisor